A survey of the first five books of the Old Testament with an emphasis on the historical background, ancient near eastern context, theology, and literary structure of each book, along with an examination of key interpretive issues and problems encountered in these books. The course emphasizes the ongoing canonical reading and application of the Pentateuchal materials throughout Israel’s history and into the
church of yesterday and today.
1. The student will become acquainted with key critical issues and be able to defend the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch.
2. The student will understand the key interpretative problems in the Pentateuch and know the germane conservative solutions to these problems.
3. The student will gain proficiencies in relating the Pentateuch to its ancient Near Eastern milieu.
4. The student will gain an appreciation for the message of the Pentateuch and its theological content.
5. The student will evaluate issues related to the structure and theology of the Pentateuch within the OT canon